Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double sided Fireplace

Posted by shortlid (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 07 at 0:36

I just had a offer accepted on a Gambrel in central, New Hampshire. It has a intersting chimney and fireplace. The chimeny is located centraly in the house. It has three flues, one for a oil fired furnace, one for a wood buring stove in the basement, and one for the firsplace. The fire place can been seen through on the first floor and you can see from one room into the next through the fire box. How efficent are these fire boxes? Anything in particular in building fires in them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double sided Fireplace

Efficient as far as heating your home??

The wood stove will out perform your fireplace by about 100% IMO.

Fireplaces are notoriously inefficient because they send all your hot air up the flue and often the warm air in the room goes right alone with it.
The wood stove on the other hand will radiate heat from all sides and your basement will be toasty warm. Add a blower to that stove and you'd be set.

o
RE: Double sided Fireplace

OK, I know fireplaces are just for ambiance. I just thought that with two side for the heat to radiate out it might be more efficent than a standard fireplace. Are even the old non-air tight wood stoves efficient in heating the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here