Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do you clean the interior side of the glass door?

Posted by shannon01 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 07 at 0:10

I have a KozyHeat and the door has soot on it. Manual says to use oven spray. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do you clean the interior side of the glass door?

First off keep in mind the "glass" door isn't glass, it's ceramic. So do NOT use WINDEX. I just use Fantastic. Wait until the door is cool enough to the touch and just spray on the Fantastic and use a paper towel to wipe it clean. Then just toss the dirty towel into the stove and relight it.
If the door has scorch marks on it you can use the oven cleaner or just go to the local hardware store and buy some woodstove glass cleaner. It takes the scorch marks off right away.

o

G'day, I spent big bucks on my Napoleon 1401 so I don't mind spending for what I consider the best ceramic window cleaner on the maket. I buy "Fireview" product id number #15825 comes in a 1 pint spray bottle similar in size and shape like your typical Lysol kitchen spray bottles. It is sold under the Spray Nine Corporation brand name and should be available in your local home supply or hardware stores, such as True Value, Home Depot, Valu Home Centers, etc. for about $6. Of course you let the unit cool somewhat. I place an old towel or rag under the door to collect drippings. Spray it on the creosote impregnated surface and wait about 10 or 15 minutes. It drips down and the rest can be wiped with a soft cloth. Stubborn baked on creosote may take a few more subsequent sprays or a few minutes longer of a wait. In any event, mine seems to self clean most of the time from a proper maintained temperature but does occasionally soot up and requires the cleaning. Try the stuff and I doubt if you will be unhappy. Try a search on Google and read up on it. Wow, this almost sounds like a paid advertisement which it most definitely is not. Just a happy consumer's feedback. Walt - kf2xn, Grand Island, NY

o

I use the same cleaner I use on my ceramic cooktop range to clean the glass on my pellet stove. It cleans the glass up nice with no streaks.
There are a few brands out there. The one I use is called Ceramabrite. Can be found in HD & Lowes in the appliance section.

o

Shannon depending on how much soot you have, an old standby is to wet a paper towel and dip it in the ashes and use that to scour the soot off. Then use a moist or dry paper towel to rinse or wipe off all the residue. You will be surprised how well that works and costs virtually nothing. As said above, only do this on a cool door.

o

i spray mine down, when cool of course, with Greased Lightning. let it soak in for a couple minutes, then wipe it right off. been doing that once a week for the last 3 winters and not signs of any problems. my only real question is why does only my right hand door soot up!

o

Shannon,

I second the ash method. I use vinegar and water with a little ash around the sooty edges.
OK sometimes windex.

Peace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here