Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cost of running gas fireplace?

Posted by ekoreilly (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 22, 06 at 23:00

Just wondering, anyone have any idea of the typical costs of running a gas fireplace that burns 28K btu?? Wife was asking !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cost of running gas fireplace?

propane or natural?

o

Gee, would have been nice if I stated that. Natural Gas firreplace. I have to say, If I were building, I think I would put in Propane for heating, been seeing those commercials and they make me wonder ....

o

I was also wondering, what type of fireplace gate do you buy? mine fireplace puts out so much heat that I worry even the gate will get too hot and my lil' daughter will touch even that and get a lil' burn, or the dog might sniff it OUCH!

o

For a natural gas fireplace that puts out 28,000 btu/hr: assuming 90% efficency and gas at $1.26 per 100 cubic feet:

(28,000 btu/hr divided by (103,000 btu per 100 cubic feet)) x $1.26 x 1.1 efficiency = 38 cents/hour to run at rated output.

For propane fireplace that puts out 28,000 btu/hr: assuming 90% efficiency and propane at $2 per gallon:

(28,000 btu/hr divided by (86,000 btu/gallon)) x $2 x 1.1 efficiency = 72 cents/hour to run at rated output.

Insert your actual price of gas and propane for more accurate price calculations. Note that propane may be as much as twice the cost for natural gas (don't believe every commercial that you see).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here