Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firewood must be split before drying

Posted by mikey_g (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 17, 10 at 21:57

This may not be news to most on this forum, but I'll relate this for those who don't know. Some family members had some trees cut down and left the logs in a pile thinking they would split them when they were needed. Well they sat there for a couple years and we finally got around to splitting them with intention to burn them this winter. Despite the couple years they sat there, the wood was still too "green" or moist to burn. Lesson learned, firewood must be split before drying out for a year or so.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firewood must be split before drying

Removing the bark also does the trick.

o
RE: Firewood must be split before drying

Grrr, I'm also just finding this out. I had a few trees taken down during my home construction a couple of years ago and then this past spring had them cut into 2 ft slices. Just had them split a couple of weeks ago. Mix of locust, sassafras, and ailanthus. Will I be able to burn them in my fireplace this winter?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here