Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thermometer for Wood Stove

Posted by rudysmallfry (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 05 at 21:47

I just got a Hearthstone Heritage wood stove. The manual says to place the thermometer on the top center piece of soapstone. However, during the breakin fire, it was obvious that the flue heated up sooner (and seemingly hotter) than the soapstone. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the thermometer on the piece that gets hottest? Where do those of you with soapstone have your thermometers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thermometer for Wood Stove

once the stove is warm/hot the surface will be accurate but initially the stove pipe being sheet metal will get hot faster. i put 1 on the top of my stove and another 2' up the stove pipe. i have a vc defient encore that i heat a 1500 sq ft house.

just curious, i had a hearthstone stove in 1992, it was beautiful. problem was that it did not have proper air controls to regulate the stove. the max burn was about 6-7 hours. had to get rid of it, it was a stove that was exempt from emission controls. i thought all hearthstone stoves were suspect from that experience. do you like yours? how many seasons have you used it?

tom

o

I just got mine, and so far have only done the break in fire. I'll be doing the first good fire over the weekend. I can already tell that the stove drafts very well from the very tall flames in the break in fire. I have yet to play with the damper to see how slow a burn I can achieve.

o

I also had the same problem with the Soapstone stoves..I had a max burn time of 6 hours.. Never had a fire last through the night..Had it 3 years before I sold it and bought a Jotul which is a a hardworking stove that last through the night and puts off amazing heat, which I could not get from the Soapstone..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here