Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hearthstone wood stove

Posted by newburn (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 21:30

I have purchased a hearthstone wood stove the model is a Mansfield. It is rated to heat up to 2500 SF and produce 80,000 BTU's. I also have the heat shield and blower for the unit. The wood stove will be put in my basement that is finished. The house is a two story do think that the heat will make it through the main floor to the up stairs. Any suggestions on how to help get the heat to the upstairs. The house is 2300 SF and in cold Ohio. Thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hearthstone wood stove

It's pretty tough to get heat from a basement stove upstairs. If I were you I'd check out the forum at hearth.com and ask this question.

o
RE: Hearthstone wood stove

No. You will get some heat on the main floor but probably not enough to be comfortable. The heat profile of a soapstone stove is predominantly radiant, or line of sight heat. Because of the floors between the basement, main floor and upstairs there is a significant barrier to that energy flow. You do have the blower which will help some and may be able to keep the main floor comfortable as well.

Stove ratings are usually done for moderately cold climates so Ohio is probably close in that regard. Your mileage may vary if your house is exceptionally insulated but I would guess that your basement, main floor and upper floor square footage exceeds 2,500 SF which is a guideline only, not a promise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here