Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to clean a brick hearth?

Posted by bmmalone (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 1, 06 at 21:11

i have tried washing the brick, but it still looks 'dusty'. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to clean a brick hearth?

have found cleaning the bricks with an all natural citrus based cleaner/degreser works well. They also make a sealer for the bricks after they have been cleaned to give them a soft shine and it will help keep them clean. If you can find this product called Mex made by UGL the company that makes DryLoc it works great to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mex Cleaner

o

We use vinegar on our bricks and I think they look great...

o

I used a concrete cleaner with a very stiff brush, worked pretty good. But I liked the idea of vinegar, will try that next.

o

I use the foaming bathroom cleaner. (like Mr. Bubbles) I actually saw this on HG-TV show and it does work. I bought some cleaner last year at Lowe's and scrubbed and scrubbed above my fireplace and could not get rid of the soot. So back in the summer I saw them use this bathroom cleaner so I gave it a try. It was amazing. I actually just bought the store brand and it broke the soot down and it was just running down the brick. Pretty amazing. It didn't bother the brick at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here