Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
request for fireplace remodel suggestions

Posted by macic (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 20:52

Hi

We have a fireplace that currently looks good but the heat all goes up the chimney.

I apologize that I could not include pictures here but instead they are in a google album (http://picasaweb.google.com/MickCartwright/Fireplace#)

From fireplace

From fireplace

My questions are these - and I will truly appreciate answers to any or all, or just suggestions.

would shortening the legs on the grate make much of a difference to heat going up the chimney/into the room?

any suggestions for removing the brass and replacing with brushed nickel?

covering the black brick with granite or other stone?

(I do understand that looking at the pictures is not the same as seeing the fireplace so believe me, any and all suggestions welcome.)

with thanks in advance,

regards

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: request for fireplace remodel suggestions

The fireplace you have looks to be a masonry fireplace with aftermarket glass doors. The fireplace is between a negative ten and a positive five percent efficient. The doors cut down on heat loss. Close the doors when you are letting the fire die down to minimize the loss of air from the house via the chimney.

Cutting the legs on the grate will do very little to increase performance.

To get heat you need to modify the burning format. Adding an insert (wood, gas, or pellet) is the best and most expensive choice. If you want to heat a zone in your home this is the most efficient choice. Inserts will increase the heating performance to an efficiency range of 50 to 75%.
Good luck and happy heating.

o

If I understand fireplaces, the kind you have, which I had, is not meant to heat a house, it is more decorative. I replaced mine with an insert with blower. We just built our first fire of the year. Downstairs was 62, it is now 73 with blower full blast. It was the best investment we have ever made on a house. It saves money on wood, less gas bill, and good for the environment.

Your brick and mantle are pretty in my opinion.

o

Consider doing a search on this forum for direct vent. There are several lengthy posts on the subject that describe the advantages of such a system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here