Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!! Clicking sounds in my fire place

Posted by gailyn1956 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 20:47

I have a new Heritage wood burner. I have a thermometer set on the pipe and am keeping it at about 325 degrees. I continue to hear a clicking noise in the pipe like someone it tapping a screw driver on the inside.

Is this normal?????? It's making me nervous and I don't know what it could be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!! Clicking sounds in my fire place

The sound you are hearing is most likely the metal stove pipe heating up and expanding, which is normal.
If you have concerns please call a local stove shop or chimney place and have them take a lot at it.
Better safe than sorry

o
RE: Help!! Clicking sounds in my fire place

It's probably the metal expanding and nothing to worry about much but there's a chance that some of the sounds are from falling creosote particles from the lower flue temperature. By Heritage, I am assuming you mean a Hearthstone Heritage, nice stove, but 325 is pretty low for your flue temperature if you're using a magnetic type thermometer. I used to have a Hearthstone Phoenix and cruising temperature on that was between 400 and 500 for most of the burn.

How far up the pipe is your thermometer from the stove flue collar? It might read lower if more than 2 feet above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here