Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace insert

Posted by fishbone01453 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 20:46

I was told that I could and should put some insulation up and round my staneless steel pipe so I would not lose any heat.Not all the way but right were my old damper went. Does anyone no of this I just keep thinking that it could start a fire. Maybe it best to leave it be

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace insert

I place a roll of fiberglass insulation in the base of the chimney to keep the cold air out. The commercial damper systems are not air tight. The heat from the pipe actaually fuses the glass over time and I replace it yearly.

o
RE: Fireplace insert

I LIVE IN A 2 STORY CONDO TOWNHOUSE. I HAVE A ZC PREFAB FIREPLACE. I WANT TO INSTALL A WOOD BURNING INSERT, HOWEVER I NEED ONE SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT. I FOUND A HAMPTON INSERT THAT ACCEPTS A 15 1/2 DEPTH. HOWEVER, THE HEIGHT IS 19 1/8. WHEN MEASURING HEIGHT DO I MEASURE FROM THE FRAME AROUND THE FIRE PLACE THTAT THE DOORS ARE CONNECTED TO, OR FROM THE FLOOR. IS THAT FRAME AROUND THE FIREPLACE REMOVEABLE? IF SO I HAVE THE HEIGHT NEEDED TO GET AN INSERT PUT IN. I WAS TOLD THAT THE TOP PART WITH THE DAMPER KNOB WAS NOT REMOVABLE BECAUSE IT IS PART OF THE UNIT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here