Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas fireplace not providing flame?

Posted by hoosierdoc (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 20:39

Quickly... we have a dual fireplace unit that's a direct vent. At full blast, it creates barely noticable flames, and casts no light into either room. The rep was there today and said it was performing at factory specs regarding something about water columns.

We paid a lot of $$ to engineer the house around this dual fireplace, and I'm already upset that I can't open a door on the unit to get heat out. Since it can't provide much heat, I then at least wanted the visual effect of a fire, which I can't get either.

I'm rather irritated and would like some opinions on the matter. We have a single direct-vent unit in our mbr that works great. The flames easily clear the logs. The lower unit, the flames barely reach the logs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire not working

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas fireplace not providing flame?

Water column is referring to the gas pressure supplied to the fireplace. Presumably that was checked and found to be within the acceptable range.

You might look for the BTU input on both fireplaces, which should be listed on the rating plate of the fireplace, commonly found below the fireplace inside a grill.

The BTU input is the heating value of the gas burned per hour. If one fireplace has a BTU input of 20,000 and the other 40,000, the second should produce about twice the heat as the first.

Also, the BTU input is often adjustable within certain limits by turnin a knob. If so, there will be a range of BTU input given --- such as 15,000-20,000 BTU. If that's the case, you want to find the right knob and adjust that to whatever level you find acceptable.

That should be discussed in your owner's manual.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here