Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How is a wood stove insert installed?

Posted by braytonak (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 20:00

We've thought about getting a wood stove insert to replace our fireplace. However, I just wonder how it would be 'inserted'. The existing fireplace is 26 years old with a floor-to-ceiling stone facade. The stones actually overlap the fireplace a little, so I don't think you'd ever be able to pull the fireplace into the house without destroying the wall.

Can inserts be installed through the chase outside? The chase is finished in cheap T-111 siding.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How is a wood stove insert installed?

I've never heard of an insert being installed through the exterior. Sounds like a mess, although I suppose you can do anything with enough money.

Mostly you'd measure the size of the existing opening in the fireplace and buy an insert that will fit in the opening. Most inserts have a cover that extends around the existing opening by a certain number of inches to fill the remaining gap.

So it's very likely you can find an insert to fit the existing opening and fill the gap. You could consider using a chisel to cut the overlapping stones if that would allow you a larger insert, but probably that's not necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here