Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace Rug

Posted by nosambos (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 07 at 19:51

We upgraded to a larger insert last year. The previous stove blew heated air out the top front. The present stove blows air out the sides. I constructed a surround which directs the air upward and am quite pleased with the heat output. Problem is this higher efficiency stove puts out so much convected heat that the wood floor is very, very warm to the touch about 2 feet from the front. Is this a hazard? Would a hearthside rug help or would that be more combustible? I was looking online for rugs and it seems the two options are wool or olefin. Ideas please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace Rug

They might help but long term that's not the best option. I am in a similar boat and have a hearth extender for now. This is an insulated piece of stove board which extends 18" beyond my fireplace opening and is 48" wide. In a week or so I am going to rip up about 24 inches of hardwood floor put in ceramic tile with some micore insulation under the underlayment board.

If you do go with a rug I would recommend a fiberglass one. These are the least combustible and more insulating. I have included a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiberglass hearth rugs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here