Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burning corn in Harmon XXV

Posted by taylor810 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 19:43

Is anyone burning a pellet/corn mixture in their Harmon XXV? If so, when % mixture are you using? I am hoping to be able to burn a pellet/corm mixture since it is easier to purchase corn and help offset the usage of pellets since it seems that there is alway a shortage of pellets.

Thank-you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burning corn in Harmon XXV

I would need to say that because of the ignitor in the XXV burning corn would not be a good idea. The moisture that you get from the corn may mess up the ignitor. Harman has a PC45 corn stove that has a completely different ignitor because of these reasons.

o
RE: Burning corn in Harman XXV

I have seen people burn a mix of 1/3 corn to 2/3 pellet in a Harman pellet stove. I have heard up to half and half, but I would probably lean more toward the 1/3-2/3 mix. Other than making it tougher for the stove to light, corn is really tough on metal. In laymans terms it eats metal. Both the stove and the pipe. There is corn pipe which is made a little sturdier but the outcome is the same over time. Harman's corn stove also has a stainless steel burn pot to help lengthen the life due to the stress of corn. Corn also does not have as thorough of combustion. The high moisture contributes to this as well. There is an agitator in Harman's corn stove that helps to break up the inevitable clinker(s) to help make it easier to clean.
If you want to burn corn I would recommend the PC45, if you already own an XXV I don't think I would use more than 1/3 corn and expect that you will have increased maintenance issues and requirements, you will shorten the life of your pipe/stove, and may have difficulties with the unit lighting correctly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here