Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
converting single sided to double sided fireplace

Posted by amylville (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 17, 08 at 19:24

I live in a 1920s bungalow that has a large wood burning fireplace. I would like to convert it to a 2 sided fireplace. Any ideas on if this is possible and if so, how involved/costly of a job is it? Thanks in advance for your input

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: converting single sided to double sided fireplace

Almost anything is possible, with the right tools and design ingenuity. But I would not do it, no matter how much I want the fireplace on the other side. It's risky because the way the chimney is shaped is to ensure an updraft when you light a fire. If you break through a wall to make is 2-sided, you alter the shape, probably in unpredictable ways, and you may not get as good a fire as you have now. It would also be a very messy and expensive alteration. You are likely to end up with an entirely different fireplace from the one you have now, not a nice old fireplace that's now 2-sided.

But I'm just a layman. What do I know? You might want to pose your question in the chat room at hearth.com. The people there live, sleep, and breath fireplaces.

o
RE: converting single sided to double sided fireplace

thanks for the info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here