Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What I want in a fireplace

Posted by messagemando (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 11 at 19:02

Got a question. Is the following doable or what? What I want: I want a fireplace that can burn wood. I want this fireplace to be able to burn wood, but can be started with gas prior to. I want this fireplace to be able to burn gas only with no wood if I don't feel like chopping/hauling and am being lazy:) I want this fieplace to have a blower but still be somewhat effective even when the power is out. It is to be placed in the corner of a 750 square foot room. I know very little about fireplaces (obviously) but I know what I want..lol. This is to be installed in a new construction home project I've started. Right now all I have finished is the 'rough in' stage of framing/outside wrap, etc. The fireplace will be on the downstairs level of a two-story home. Thanks in advance for comments!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What I want in a fireplace

I have been struggling with this question myself. Although, in my case, it will be a new fireplace in an existing house.

#1 suggestion. Get yourself a book (or books) on fireplaces to help you determine some of the esthetics. When a room has a fireplace, that is typically the focal point so you want it to look good AND function well.

Napoleon Fireplaces make woodburning fireplaces with vents. So do many other manufacturers. All woodburning fireplaces should be fitted with a gas started that could be used later if you only want to burn gas. However, the converse it not true. Many gas-burning fireplaces are NOT rated to burn wood so be sure to take this into account.

Some parts of the country with tough air quality standards (such as California) have outlawed wood burning fireplaces unless these are the only source of heat for the home. In these areas you can have a wood-rated fireplace but it must be fitted with gas and gas logs. (That would give you the option of burning wood in an emergency.) Be sure to check building codes.

#2. Consider raising the firebox off the floor by 18". This makes the box look bigger and raises it to a level that can be viewed from a greater distance.

#3. Have the hearth either flush with the rest of the flooring or built up to 18". Anything in between is a trip hazard. An 18" hearth will provide extra seating and my favorite, a warm toasty place to put your feet!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here