Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mid century modern fireplace

Posted by sheepdogs3 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 18:49

House built in 1962. Fireplace has 3 open sides. Unattractive brick (opinion). I want to put in gas pipes, not logs and cover with rock or glass for a clean modern look. I would like to have it vent-free so I get most of the heat, and not have it go up the chimney.
IS THIS SAFE?? I've been told that unless I use vent-less logs (flame doesn't touch the logs-looks fake) then I will have to get the chimney cleaned and the flue must be open - meaning the heat goes up to the sky.
Can I get the look I want? Thanks Beth
How do I post photos of the fireplace on line??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mid century modern fireplace

If you read the specifications for unvented gas logs, you'll find that they usually specify that the equipment not be used for heating, and often have limitations on how many minutes in an hour of continuous operation are recommended.

Unvented equiopment is, oh, 200 times or so as likely to injure people as vented equipment. It probably CAN be safe if all the recommendations for maintenance and safe operation are followed by everyone using the equipment, but I don't think I ever found anyone who ever read the lengthy list of warnings, much less followed them.

My recommendation is to install vented fireplace logs, or to spend the extra money to get a gas fireplace insert, which is what you should do if you want a reasonably safe and efficient source of gas heat from your wood fireplace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here