Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying A Fireplace Online

Posted by sequoia_2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 22, 08 at 18:37

Has anyone here purchased a fireplace online from a source like The Chimney Sweep? Were there any problems with the purchase and did you have any problems installing the fireplace?

Thanks?

Howard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying A Fireplace Online

In my personal opinion, purchasing anything that will burn inside the home should be purchased through a local company/dealer.

If there are problems, the local dealer can solve them. They have professional installers that will install the unit to all codes. The homeowner's insurance companies like that. If not professionally installed, red flags go up all over the place in the insurance office. And if they aren't notified that you have a new fireplace, and something happens, you may not be covered.

Is it worth the few bucks you'll save?

o

The installation is very straightforward and will be checked by a county building inspector. If I dont have time I can always hire someone. Even with shipping, the total costs are substantially lower than the local dealers would charge. NOTE: The local dealers and our county planning department allow self-installation.

o

I bought what seems to be a good quality gas FP insert online, and installed it myself with not much trouble. Saved about $1,000. Not sure if that counts as just "a few bucks."

The install manual was well-written, and I can read and follow directions, so I'm confident I did at least as good a job as an installation company would have done. If you can run a gas line, and read your codes, there's no reason a halfway handy person can't do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here