Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tear down fireplace

Posted by flowercar (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 18:28

Hello. I am new to this forum. We have hired a very reputable interior designer and she has advised us to tear out our fireplace and sheetrock over the existing opening. The fireplace was placed in a very awkward spot making furniture arrangement and wall decorations almost impossible without looking awkward. Has anyone had experience tearing out the fireplace? I would still leave the brick on the outside of the house. Need advice is this is a good option or not. It is a woodburning fireplace and in working order but very drafty and not energy efficient.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tear down fireplace

Personally, I would invest in a woodburning stove insert and contunue using the fireplace.

My opinion,

DAve

o

Hello, My last message did not post. I don't do this often...
Anyway. My husband is going to bring down our chimney and take out the fireplace to save on demolition cost. Then we are replacing the fireplace, probably with a modular masonry unit. We were told that it is not a difficult job, just hard work.
I would suggest that you take some time before making the decision to remove your fireplace. Have you investigated the affect it may have on your property value? Do you use the fireplace? Are you considering replacing it? How long do you plan to stay in this house. Your designer has made a suggestion that will improve the look of your room by removing a problem element. But designers also have the skills to 'design' around problem elements. There may be alternatives that would greatly improve the design of your room without making such a drastic change to the architecture of your house. If you ever want to sell this house, the chimney 'to nowhere', may lower the value on your house. It may be better, if you decide to remove the fireplace, to remove the chimney as well. That way a buyer would never question what happened to the original fireplace.
See if your designer can come up with less drastic suggestions, maybe consider consulting another designer, look on fireplace and design sites for similar arrangements as yours.
Good Luck. MaidMargoe

o

I wouldn't buy a house Florida that didn't have a fireplace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here