Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My fireplace stumped the gas man!

Posted by parsonse (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 17:46

I'm living in my childhood home and the gas fireplace was installed/hooked up to the propane line almost 20 years ago but never used. We had the gas company out to inspect it today and at first he said we had a ventless unit and closed the flue. Upon further inspection, he found some metal tags that gave instructions for "venting an unvented appliance" and suggested I look the log set up on the Internet to find the instructions. It's a Sunbeam product, model UV-124. Google is a dead end. Anyone out there know anything about this vented/unvented thing? I'm completely clueless about this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My fireplace stumped the gas man!

There are special gas log units designed to be used in unvented fireplaces. They can also be used in vented fireplaces.

These gas log sets usually have their own make, model and serial number as equipment that can be installed in a variety of different fireplaces. It sounds like that's what you have.

Based on the comments you report from the repairman, you may have an unvented fireplace with this set of gas logs which can be used in either vented or unvented fireplaces, but that's just guessing.

Frankly, unvented fireplaces are a lot more likely to cause health and safety hazards than vented equipment. I wouldn't have such equipment in my house, the risk is too great, in my opinion.

I'd replace it or do without.

o
RE: My fireplace stumped the gas man!

Seattlepioneer,

Thanks so much for your reply. The fireplace does have a flue which we opened back up. When we lit it back up, of course all the heat - and fumes, I assume - went up the chimney. I'm guessing it's ok to use this way?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here