Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgemalone

Heat-N-Glo pilot wont light

georgemalone
11 years ago

Good day,

I purchased a home in April that already had a Heat-N-Glo SL-36-DSI installed. The person I bought the house from said that it worked with no issues. I however have not been able to get the unit to fire up. I cannot seem to get the pilot to stay lit. It sparks but I never get a flame.

Just after I purchased the home I had a service tech from my local gas company come out and do a safety check of all gas equipment in my home. He too could not get the pilot to light and suggested I call someone else and have them come out and service/clean the fireplace.

This will be my first experience working on one of these so any help would be appreciated. When I tried to search for the manual online I came up empty. I then sent a message to Customer Care and they were nice enough to send me a copy of the manual (SL-36). I have that and can upload it if necessary. I find the manual to be somewhat vague and somewhat unhelpful.

I am sure that I need to remove the front panel and go in there and clean it out but I havent figured out exactly how to do that yet. I am able to remove the "hood" (it just slides out) I see the 3 tension spring latches and when I release them the glass door just seems to still be stuck there, so I am assuming there are other parts that need to come off before I can get the glass panel off. again the manual wasnt helpful to me in this aspect..

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

-George