Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gas fireplace code questions

Posted by wease (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 07 at 16:44

I have a Heat-n-glo gas fireplace I'm installing in a remodel. It vents straight up through the ceiling and then through the roof. There's about 1 foot from the ceiling to where it passes through the roof...this is the attic space. I boxed out with 2x6 around the flue and installed a metal firestop on the top portion (10" x 10"). So, from the inside looking up, you can see the 2x6 box and firestop. The drywall goes up to the box I made. Above the firestop is blown insulation, but none of it is touching the flue...that I know about.

So, is this all acceptable code wise? Do they usually drywall up to the flue on the inside? Seems like a lot of heat could escape up and through that area since there is no insulation. Does the drywall need to be taped and mudded at the seams?

I live in Minnesota.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gas fireplace code questions

bump

o

the firestop is usually two sided or designed to drop down into the room. You could also maintain the required distance around the pipe with sheetrock and finish it with a collar. Yes sheetrock is fire resistant but the paper on it is not.

o

It's in the teens out right now. Looking at the firestop from below I can see a whole bunch of condensation taking place. I haven't caulked around the firestop yet. But this is the only barrier there is between the inside and the attic space. Seems like a terrible waste of heat.

Wondering if I'm missing something. Should I drywall up to the flue as well and then caulk that?

o

Anyone know where I can get some answers for this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here