Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayhem69_gw

can i replace my Gas fireplace with wood?

mayhem69
13 years ago

Hi, i have a Napoleon gas fireplace that vents to the rear vinyl siding. What do i need to do to run a wood stove? Or possibly electric? There is no chimney just the vent behind.

Comments (2)

• fandlil
    13 years ago

I think your options are limited. If you had a wood fireplace, either prefab or custom built, in which gas log had been installed, I would say, you could probably switch back, provided you had your chimney checked to make sure it is in good condition. But that's not your situation.

There are gas stoves on the market (natural or propane) that vent horizontally, and electric stoves that do not vent at all. Whatever you do, do not get vent-free gas system. They are a health and safey hazard.

• mainegrower
    13 years ago

A wood stove requires a chimney certified for solid fuels. One would have to be installed - possible but expensive. Do not attempt to install a wood stove with the current venting system. Doing so would create an extreme fire hazard and no doubt void your insurance.

No vent at all is required for an electric heater, but running one would be very expensive unless you have an ultra low kwh electric rate. Gas in almost every area of the country would be cheaper than electricity.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County