Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
woodburning?

Posted by kmcg85 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 17, 08 at 15:51

I have FP with a damper and a gas line (starter) that runs underneath the grate. To the right of the FP on the floor is an insert for the key that turns on the gas. When we bought the home from a previous owner, I noticed there were no logs on the grate but underneath the grate is what seemes like the fake powder and embers you would find in a gas burning fireplace. I know it is not just old ash. I previously had an enclosed gas FP that had a bag of fake ash you could sprinkle around the bottom of the gas logs. This is what I have on this FP. We were told it was a wood burning FP, but why the fake embers and can I burn wood or is this meant for ceramic logs? I don't know the difference. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: woodburning?

When you purchased the home, did you have a home inspector? Did he say anything in his report? If not, I would go to a stove and fireplace shop and ask them before you light any wood in there.

o

Nothing mentioned by the inspector. My husband remembers a lit fire when he had come back to take a second look before we put an offer in. The previous owner was home at the time. He swears there was a fire going and the MLS listed it as woodburning, but what puzzles me is there is no soot on the inside walls. The inside is a prefab gray brick, not real masonary brick. That's why I have questions.

o

Have a chimney sweep come out to inspect the unit. He can tell you everything you want to know about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here