Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much is a cord of wood

Posted by wtschenck (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 15:46

Don't be cheated! I don't think I've ever heard anyone evoke the "legal definition" of a cord of wood, but a cord of wood is simply 128 cubic feet of wood, regardless of how you stack it. To test this voluminous theory, one need only take a known cord of wood re-stack it into any of thousands of clever shapes, from a Volkswagen bus to an intergalactic starship. It's still 128 cubic feet of wood... and still a cord. QED

To find what you should pay for any delivered wood, simply stack it (tightly) into any convenient stack and multiply length x height x width (in feet). Divide that result by 128 and multiply your answer by the price-per-cord that your supplier wants.

For example, if your stack is 3.5 x 5.5 x 6 feet, you will find you have 115.5 cubic feet (Not quite one cord, right?). Dividing 115.5 by 128, you get 0.90. Multiplying 0.90 by the advertised price of, say, $200 per cord means you owe your supplier $180.47. Don't quibble, but don't be cheated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much is a cord of wood

Our supplier has a dump truck that he delivers with. He has a line across the upper section of the dump that signifies 128 cubic feet. He stacks the wood in the truck as opposed to just throwing it in, and then adds another couple rows of "sticks" to make sure he delivers a full cord. He always delivers about 1 1/4 cords per load. He says anybody that just throws the wood into a truck will always cheat the customer.

o
RE: How much is a cord of wood

yep, the usual measurement is 4x4x8. but again you have to look at how tight it is stacked. a couple years ago my son and i stacked wood in my woodshed. it is divided up to hold 6 cords. i started at one end, he was at the other. my wood was stacked fairly tight, while his was loose stacked. when we got done i had him pull his down and restack it tight(i had told him several times and since he did not listen he ahd to do it over). when he restacked it teh correct way he got almost 40% more wood in the same area!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here