Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I drywall around my fireplace?

Posted by carpenter_benj (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 15:10

I'm finishing off a basement that has a fireplace. It was never finished off, just like the rest of the basement. I am framing in walls and drywalling the entire room. We want to drywall around the fireplace.

Do I have to do any masonry work at all? I noticed when some people cover over an existing fireplace surround they have used cement backer-board. If I were to do it that way, can I just mud/tape it and then paint?

Thanks - benj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I drywall around my fireplace?

Cement board is pretty rigid and has pitting (little holes) in the board. The board scratches real easy and if you are good with a spackle knife, you could easily mud all the imperfections in the board, sand, primer, and then paint.

It might make sense to use concrete board then a sheet of 5/8 fire resistant drywall on top of the concrete board.

o
RE: Can I drywall around my fireplace?

Both my houses had just framing around them, one was on an interior wall and other on an exterior wall, then drywall. Of course insulation on the outer walls. There was the space between unit and walls according to code. My new zero clearance has framing within inches of the box and drywall will go right over the studs. The drywall on both fireplaces went right up to the edge with tile surround.

Other than code distances for your studs, I would think the drywall is fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here