Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused about converting fireplace, help

Posted by eaglemom100 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 14:43

Boy do I have questions for everyone. I've been thinking about turning the fireplace into a either vented or ventless propane fireplace. Our neighborhood does not have lp (gas) so that is why I would have to purchase a 100 gallon propane tank.

Having said that both options scare the heck out of me!! The fireplace is on the outside wall. It is not a metal insert, but rather brick. There is an sootshoot out the bottom to the outside. I thought the propane line would just be able to go into the house that way.

So now, I need help in thinking this thing through. We really love our fireplace, the warmth, etc. A cord of wood around here is running $250 - $325.00 per cord. We do burn it - I sometimes burn it all day long as I'm home and simply like to do so. This is not our heat source for the house.

Any idea's as to what I need to do? Keep the "real" wood burning fireplace as is? Go for the propane vent gas logs? Or the ventless (which frankly scares me)? Or in reading the Overall direct Vent which I've only just read about here?

This is almost too much to figure out for me, help! Thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused about converting fireplace, help

You have a brick fireplace that you "really love". You use it regularly because you "simply like to do so". You are scared of the other options....Why are you even considering this? Your wood fireplace seems to really work for you and your lifestyle. Doesn't sound like it needs to be replaced. My vote is to save your money for something you actually want!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here