Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propane fireplace vs Gas fireplace Advice Please

Posted by amy2005 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 14:23

Hi

We want to convert a wood burning fireplace into either a gas or propane fueled fireplace. The gas one will cost 5000 plus...(we'll have to get a line from the street), and the propane fireplace will be 3000 plus... Other than the costs...is there anything we should know...for example...odors, etc....?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propane fireplace vs Gas fireplace Advice Please

Propane can be very expensive during the colder months and unless you buy your tank, you will be at the mercy of the company who owns the tank as to what they can charge per gallon to fill it, as well as when they fill it.

I have propane, (cooking and cloths dryer) and tank rent was $35 a year, and when I didn't fill it for quite some time (it was a bigger tank) the company then wanted to charge me a $65 low usage fee on the tank too. I ended up buying a used tank and can now purchase the gas from anyone at anytime I please.

Does your gas company have a monthly charge, regardless of whether or not you use any gas? Does the $3000 maybe take into account buying a smaller used tank?

Do you intend to use the fireplace all the time as a main source of heat, or only occasionally? I see you are located in the PacificNW. I'm not familiar with just how cold or windy it gets there.

I would consider gas costs aside from the initial installation costs.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here