Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric or Gas fireplace?

Posted by shelly_k (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 13, 09 at 13:52

Hi all, this is my first post here. I usually post in Building a Home as we are doing new construction.

First, I know nothing about fireplaces. That said, I've had fireplaces, and they've always been the gas kind that you turn on with a switch. To me they are just "ok". I dislike that they put out so much heat when they are on, that you have to turn it off after 20 minutes if you don't want to be sweating. I also dislike that when they are off in the winter (99% of the time), there is cold air flowing out of the vents in the bottom! I have to put a blanket there to keep the cold draft out of my family room.

So I am considering electric. However, hubby thinks they are not as desirable in a new construction home. My sister has one and I think they look great, especially if a nice surround is done. And I love that you can just have the "flames" on and no heat. I love the ambience that a fireplace gives.

What do you think? Is electric considered "dumb" in a higher end new construction home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric or Gas fireplace?

What you are looking for is a B-Vent gas fireplace. These gas fireplaces give you the real flame, wall switch and remote control option but with much lower heat output. Try looking at these at lennoxhearthproducts.com Look at the Crestline 36" or 42"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here