Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas to Reface Ugly Fireplace?

Posted by reno4ever (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 07 at 13:29

I am redecorating our living room, which has a fireplace with a large faux brick area (ie 2 ft on either side of and above the woodburning insert) that the previous owner painted orange. I don't want to completely demo it so I am looking for ideas to reface it. I realize one option is to paint it (colour suggestions and step by step instructions are welcome!) but do I have any other options?

Thank you for any suggestions!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas to Reface Ugly Fireplace?

How about removing the faux brick,if possible, (or just going over top of it) and adding tile and a wood mantel. Here is a thread where they redid a brick fireplace, which may give you some ideas.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/firepl/msg0815580022053.html

Also here is a website I recently came across with fireplace makeovers.
http://www.homebedazzle.com/fireplace.htm

o

I'm not exactly sure what "faux brick" is, but it sounds like a veneer afixed with some sort of adhesive. If you can scrape it off or otherwise remove it, you could replace it with stone or tile of a similar thickness.

If it can't be removed, could you cover it with another layer of stone or tile? This might involve pulling the mantle off, then reinstalling it over the new decorative layer, but it's not terribly difficult.

When I bought my current house it had a fireplace surround of unattractive and soot stained Roman brick. I didn't like it, so we pulled the mantle off, slip-covered the brick with black granite, then replaced the mantle. The gap between the mantle and the wall was filled with wood stips sculpted to match the outline of the mantle, then painted. The hearth tiles were also replaced.

Before:

After:

o

Here's what we did, before and after:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

you can see the whole process at the following link:

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace refacing

o

Thank you for these ideas! And congratulations on the successful remodels - they look great!

Jamesk: I wish I could post a picture of my fireplace, you could see how "faux" our brick is :) it's hard to tell exactly what the material is (because it's been spray painted orange with black accents in its entirety!!), but the "bricks" are blocks (about the size of a regular brick) that are very smooth and have very straight edges. I think tiling it without removing any of the "brick" is the easiest way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here