Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying Gas Fireplace Type

Posted by jmeggers (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 13:27

Our house is about 14 years old (we moved in 6 years ago) and it has a double-side gas fireplace with glass panels facing both rooms. We get almost no heat benefit from the fireplace and would like to understand what our options are for improving that. My wife would like to remove the glass but I'm not convinced that's a safe althernative. I'm not even certain exactly what type of fireplace it is, whether it's direct vent or something else. I'm pretty sure it's not ventless as I see a thermal controlled vent on the ceiling of the fireplace, so my guess is it vents up through the roof. I see what appears to be some kind of a sensor with wires attached at the top immediately behind one of the glass panels but can't tell what it does. I'm pretty sure it's not any kind of sensor to ensure the glass panel is in place as I was able to operate the fireplace without the panels in place. I don't see a brand name on anything. On the back of the access panel for the burner mechanism are the typical legal disclaimer stickers, and one says it requires fresh air for safe operation. Behind the glass panels there are wire mesh screens that can be pulled to the center but those may be simply for appearance. How can I tell for sure what type it is and whether removing the glass is a safe option? Thanks for any help.

John Meggers
Ashburn, VA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying Gas Fireplace Type

Not sure what type it is, could be a "B" vent and they are useless for putting out any heat. Vent free's are outlawed in some cities, and many codes prevent them from being installed in bedrooms and sometimes bathrooms (CO).

The best type of fireplace is the "Direct Vent" In most cases you can identify these as they have a "Double wall Tube" coming out of them, either from the top or the back.
The actual combustion chamber is completely sealed on a direct vent. It draws the air it needs from the outside portion of that tube, and exaust the combusted products through the inside part of that tube, thus the outside part of the tube stays cool and these type of fireplaces can be installed "virtually anywhere"

Unfortunately even things here , with direct vent fireplaces are not that simple. There are some made, (Usually larger ones), that throw out little heat--they are rated for "entertainment" or some fool thing!!!
The ones that throw out the heat are rated as a heating appliance, and throw out heat , they do. We have a Valor
and it heats the whole downstairs of our 2700 sq ft house.
Fortunately, it has a hand held remote, as well as a thermostat mode, that will adjust the flame up/down as needed to keep the room (or wherever you have that remote), to the desired temperature.

I Hope you are able to do something with yours, but if not,
hopefully I have provided you with some "Ammunition" for the saleman! (LOL)

Good luck, hope you are able to stay warm!

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here