Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmeggers_gw

Identifying Gas Fireplace Type

jmeggers
13 years ago

Our house is about 14 years old (we moved in 6 years ago) and it has a double-side gas fireplace with glass panels facing both rooms. We get almost no heat benefit from the fireplace and would like to understand what our options are for improving that. My wife would like to remove the glass but I'm not convinced that's a safe althernative. I'm not even certain exactly what type of fireplace it is, whether it's direct vent or something else. I'm pretty sure it's not ventless as I see a thermal controlled vent on the ceiling of the fireplace, so my guess is it vents up through the roof. I see what appears to be some kind of a sensor with wires attached at the top immediately behind one of the glass panels but can't tell what it does. I'm pretty sure it's not any kind of sensor to ensure the glass panel is in place as I was able to operate the fireplace without the panels in place. I don't see a brand name on anything. On the back of the access panel for the burner mechanism are the typical legal disclaimer stickers, and one says it requires fresh air for safe operation. Behind the glass panels there are wire mesh screens that can be pulled to the center but those may be simply for appearance. How can I tell for sure what type it is and whether removing the glass is a safe option? Thanks for any help.

John Meggers

Ashburn, VA

Comment (1)