Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gas fireplace in basement--how to vent?

Posted by dgmarie (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 07 at 13:05

I'm interested in adding a gas, vented, fireplace to our basement game room. The fireplace would theorectically go in a concrete niche that is already in the foundation wall (above it on the first floor is a jut-out section of the master bathroom wall where a tub used to sit).

I assume that a gas fireplace needs some sort of chimney to exhaust it, however you could not put a chimney or vent straight up from the fireplace because the room above it has windows directly above the basement. In otherwords, any chimmey would be seen sticking straight up outside the master bathroom windows.

Here is the side of the house where the fireplace would potentially go. The windows you see here are the master bathroom. Directly below would be the gas fireplace. also directly below the window: the two A/C units.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I have ZERO experience with a basement fireplace or gas fireplace, and am wondering if such venting issues are not a big deal or if I should completely reconsider the location. How obvious as the exhuast vents?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gas fireplace in basement--how to vent?

Maybe direct vent is an option. The vent could be mounted in the wall below the window, but it can't be too close though. Best to have your fireplace installer survey the area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here