Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bad_karma101

OLDER Whitfield pellet stove problem

bad_karma101
9 years ago

I recently bought a used OLDER Whitfield Advantage pellet stove. I installed it per the instructions which I found for it online. (This stove is the older type that isn't self ignighting.(you have to puta handful of pellets into the fire box, and place a starter like fire gel on the pellets, then light it)
My problem is that the pellets will light once I get the air flow adjusted. They will burn well, flame looks strong.. After about 20 -25 minutes, two things usually occur:
1. The flame dwindles down, ans smothers out
2. The stove shuts off, as it it was ona timer.

It's as if it doesn't get enough time to heat all the way up ( never have got hot air out of it, only Luke warm, before shutting down.)
When it shuts off, and I hit the "start" switch, the flame seems to just eventually smother out, while I try to save it by playing with the air control rod ( which seems to work well) .
It is as if the ashes in the grate won't burn / and filter and maybe smothers out the pellets?
Currently I have a 1 1/2" "fresh air supply" pipe vented from outside. There were no specific directions I could see for that, so I fit a 1 1/2" pipe over the
1 1/2" fresh air outlet on the stoves back . Would a bigger pipe make any difference? The air control seems to work good now. I the exhaust is a 4 " through the wall, with a clean out tee, and then extends vertically above the gutter on the house side.
Also, in looking for help on older Whitfield stoves, etc, the control panel on my older stove looks Nothing like All the older Whitfield stoves I found pics of online..I have only a knob to control feed of pellets, a knob for the blower ( not sure if it also is a shut off timber as it doesn't really say), one rocker switch to turn the stone "on" and then on rocker switch to turn the auger on/off.
Can anyone help me out? Do I need a different burn pot that has large holes to allow the ash to fall through into the ash pan?
bTw- I replaced the door seal and ash pan seals, and I can't find any air leaks.
I'm about to take it to the dump if I can't get the thing to work!!
Thanks!

This post was edited by bad_karma101 on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 13:11

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022