Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freestanding Wood burning stove

Posted by geesh (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 12:44

Looking for information on freestanding wood stoves. Bought a vacation home that has a "pretty cool looking newer black w/ copper trim freestanding wood burning stove" in the corner of a room. Naturally I am concerned with safety- so while remodeling I want to do the right thing. Currently this stove about 2' from a corner sitting on "ceramic tile". with z-brick on the walls. The stove has legs about 10" high and has a chimney that go's through the roof with a hood/cap with screen big enough for wasps to get in the house. I want to pull the stove out & re-do the floor under the stove & the corner walls. Is brick my least expensive SAFE option or do I have other options. NOTE: I would like to use this stove occasionally.
*This is a vacation home, next time I get down there I will take some pictures & post them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freestanding Wood burning stove

I know this is an older post, but, I thought I would chime in. As a minimum, there must be no combustible material directly under the stove, and must continue 8-12" from the sides and 16-18" from the front. We currently have 2 woodstoves heating our entire house, but use our larger main for the majority of the year. It sits on slate tile over cement board, and out from the wall about 18-24". The wall is plaster behind some and plywood on each side. The wall gets warm, but never hot enough to ignite, and only when the dampers are open and the fire is roaring. You could easily do drywall or tile. Ceramic, marble, and slate are all safe choices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here