Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Confused about height of chimmney needed for outdoor fireplace?

Posted by alyceusvi (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 12:34

Hello from St. John,
Dear Experts?
I have been trying to educate myself as to the chimney
requirements for an outdoor fireplace. Looking at online pictures they all seem very high? This fireplace is only for ambiance. It is the focal point of an outdoor livingroom. I will be burning gas propane logs or glass crystals or stones. The concrete contractor has never built a masonary fireplace al la Virgin Islands never goes below 70 degrees. The design I have in mind would be a height of about 6 feet 24" above the slab for the opening. The roof will be at ten feet on the perimeter and peak at 16' with tongue and goove cedar and a metal roof. The building inspector has no experience with fireplaces either. I want to have a basic drawing wihch I can take to apply for the permit. Any and all advice is appreciated. Would ventless be an option? Thanks, in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Confused about height of chimmney needed for outdoor fireplac

The general rule is if the fireplace is located attached to or less than 10 feet from the house, it needs to meet the standard 2-10 chimney rule. Which tyically will mean the fireplace and chimney will be at least 16 feet tall on a single story home.

If your fireplace is greater than 10 feet from the house, there really isn't a minimum but most are built around 7- 8 feet tall.

Try looking at this site for outdoor fireplace information. www.lennoxhearthproducts.com Search for outdoor fireplaces. They make ventless gas and wood burning outdoor models. You will find the 2-10 cihmney rule in the installation manuals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here