Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Stove - putting a 'z' bend

Posted by offgridnatureman (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 12:05

Hi,

I'm installing a wood stove, and it's a simple straight up to the ceiling from the stove.

However a friend reccomended that I put a "z" bend in it above the stove, to help slow down the venting, and allow more heat to get out?

Any opinions on this, as I was going to go straight up and throught the roof?

Thanks

AC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Stove - putting a 'z' bend

Put it in if you want to have a place where the creosote builds up.

o

Plus you'll have a dickens of a time getting a brush through.

o

Is your friend a professional installer? I have never heard of anything so silly. You need the pipe to go straight up. Make sure you do it according to code, and be SURE your homeowner's insurance company is notified. If you don't tell your insurance company, and there's a fire, you may not be covered! Also make sure you have all permits necessary from your town.

You slow down the venting by damping the stove down, not clogging the chimney.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here