Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fireplace remodel

Posted by carp5gr (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 7, 09 at 11:45

We have a brick fireplace (just bought this house) and are going to add a mantel with tile around the opening. Fot the bricks outside
of mantel, I would love to make it look like a wall and put a coat of plaster on it and then paint it. The bricks have been painted. Is this possible without using drywall and if so, what products should I use? I should add that we really don't want to make the fireplace look any bigger since it is 7' across and in a medium sized room...
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fireplace remodel

A good plasterer can do it, although they will need at least two coats. Not a DIY project as it's very hard to end up with a smooth level surface - anything less than that will look bad when the light hits it. Drywall attached with the proper construction adhesive is the simplest and cheapest way to do it. If you use 1/2" drywall and adhesive it won't stick out much more than a few coats of plaster would.

o
RE: fireplace remodel

Actually, I have done some plastering. The walls have some texture, skip troweled, and since I pay extreme attention to detail, I will probably try it my self...and the friend we bought the mantel is a contractor and has give us some helpful hints...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here