Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2-Way Inserts Available?

Posted by gregindallas (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 26, 06 at 11:32

With soaring heating costs, I'm interested in finding a 2-way fireplace insert -- ie. it would have a door on each side (since the current fireplace I have is double sided - from my family and living room. Does anyone know who makes something that would have two doors, or is this just not possible? Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2-Way Inserts Available?

Yes! We have one, it's called the Oracle by RSF (Canadian company). We love it. We have used it a couple of times this fall and it has provided a nice heat for the 2 story living room and large kitchen it sits between - and the house isn't even finished yet!

Here is a link that might be useful: check out the Oracle here

o

The Oracle is not what the OP wants. He wants an insert for an existing 2-sided open fireplace, which as far as I know does not exist.

o

greg, xanndra is correct.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/QA_Templates/info/294/

However, that is not to say that it cannot be done. If you know a GOOD metal fabricator, are willing to pay thru the nose for its construction, are not subject to EPA phase 2 restrictions where you plan to burn the insert, & have the approval of your mortgage & insurance companies, then the answer is yes.
And please post some pics of it in operation.
Thanks

o

hi greg,
did you ever find a gas insert for your double fireplace?
thanks,
marilyn

o

This is an old thread, but just wondering if anyone has found a two-way insert. We are looking at buying a house with an existing double-sided fireplace with gas logs between the family room and living room. It looks great, but I am concerned about heat loss. The fireplace inspector had recently installed a double-sided ventless log set in another home, which he recommended, but I am leery of ventfree products in general. I would love to find a way to make it direct-vent gas. (Prefer not wood burning-I find it messy, smelly and a hassle.) Any other options?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here