Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scotkight

Need to pull my H&G DV fireplace to fix air leaks... advice?

scotkight
10 years ago

I have a heat and glow fireplace, standard builder equipment. Unfortunately the bump-out has the standard "not sealed right" problem of drafts and smells, so I need to pull the fireplace.

Plan is to pull, measure the insides and verify insulation type and location, as well as the install of the firestop and piping. I don't believe they drywalled in the cavity, so if the measurements work, put up a vapor barrier and drywall. Then re-install the same unit.

The only real issue I have, for now, is taking the fireplace out. It looks like I need to unscrew it from the framing inside of the bottom and top cavities of the fireplace, disconnect gas and electric, and the wall switch, which is all pretty simple simple.

Then it looks like I might need to either just cut the high temp caulk between the marble and the fireplace or I need to remove the marble side pieces, but I'm not sure.

What do you think? Do I need to remove the marble or both the marble and mantle? Or can I just slide the unit out after unbolting from the inside?

If I need to remove the marble, I am not quite sure the best way to do it. It has to have some adhesive behind it and I don't want to break anything since I want ti to all go back right how it is.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County