Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ash box lid unmoored -- safety problem?

Posted by sheckylovejoy (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 11:02

We just moved into a new place (40s or 50s Southern California construction) with a combo gas-wood fireplace. We had our first fire, but when I went to clean it out, the cement that was holding the lid to the ash box down to the floor of the fireplace crumbled away. Now there is a gap which embers can fall through. Is this something I shouldn't be concerned about or should I not light another fire until this is taken care of.

Related question: should I leave the door open to allow fresh air in from the outside when the fire is lit? We have endirons and also, since this is Southern California, heating is not the issue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ash box lid unmoored -- safety problem?

I'm not sure I'm picturing this correctly, but if embers are falling down into the chimney below the fireplace, the danger is small as long as the cleanout door in the basement is tightly closed. If it is not, you certainly don't want live embers spilling out onto the basement floor.

On the other hand, crumbling mortar in the firebox may indicate other problems such as water entering the chimney, a loose damper, etc. It would probably be worth while to have this checked by a mason or chimney sweep, if there are any of the latter in S. CA.

o
RE: Ash box lid unmoored -- safety problem?

Thanks for the tips. I keep the door shut tightly as you say. It's is all new to me, I'm just used to the brick floor.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here