Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinnaman

Wood burns too fast

cinnaman
18 years ago

I have a wood burning fireplace that seems to burn wood very fast. I will use about 10 decent size split logs in about 2 1/2 hours. I see other fireplaces where the flame is kind of dancing along the logs, my flame is more like a blow torch. I thought about closing the chimney-top damper a little, but I don't want smoke blowing back into the house.

Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• pdg777
    18 years ago

I have this same question -- I had mine open as far as it could go and I got about 2 1/2 hours as well, although the flames were "dancing along the logs". I was wondering if closing it a notch or two would make for a longer burning fire.

• vshap
    18 years ago

I wanted to ask the same question. I bought Jotul F400, and manufacturer in the specification pointed that burning time is up to 7 hours. Mine with a full load and with small opened air flow will burn faster to the cold status. What we are doing wrong? I am using seasoned wood only.

• pdg777
    18 years ago

This is what I found out:

flue (I guess that should be damper) should be open all the way when fire first started, then turn down one notch, if no smoke comes out, turn down one more notch. don't turn down further because smoke will come out
    2. if the fireplace has air vents they should be open all the way while fire is burning; close flue (damper?) and vents after fire is out

• westernmainer
    18 years ago

The dryer wood is, the faster that it will burn plus cause less creosote build up in your chimney.
    This is a good thing.
    Closing your damper slightly (in a fireplace)is not a good thing.
    A solution may be to find some less seasoned wood to burn with your seasoned wood.
    This will slow the burn down.
    Also, bigger chunks of any level of seasoned wood will burn longer, however, a couple of big chunks of very well seasoned wood can cause quite a blaze!
    If you mix in acouple of greener pieces with a dryer piece, you may find that burning them in a more vertical position gives you better visual flames.

• pdg777
    18 years ago

Oops -- well if WesterMainer is indeed from Maine, I'm sure he knows a thing or two about fireplaces! I got my instructions from a chimney sweep for what it's worth.

• rudysmallfry
    18 years ago

Someone on Hearth.com had a similar problem with his wood stove. Wood burning very quickly, much quicker than advertised. It turned out that his ash pan was not properly secured and additional air was getting in from below his stove and feeding the fire. I know yours is a fireplace and not a woodstove, but maybe there's additional air getting in from somewhere? I little pea sized whole in your firebox would be all it takes. It's a long shot, but if your fireplace has not acted like this in season's past, maybe it's worth checking out.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia