Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pellet Thermostat or Not????

Posted by jeechaz (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 05 at 10:57

I put my new pellet stove on a thermostat. I was told that a should just leave it on low and take it off the thermostat and let it burn non-stop to avoid shut down and restarts. Is this less wear and tear on the stove or more?? Is this just a waste of pellets? Which way is better???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pellet Thermostat or Not????

My opinion is - Turn it on and let it go. Shut it down for cleaning. A hot stove is doing it's job and a cold is not.

o

It depends on the stove design. My stove (Quadrafire) is designed to run off a thermostat. We have it on a digital one with night temp setback and love it. On the thermostat the stove will run for a few hours in the morning until the house is up to temp. Then it cycles on every couple hours to keep it warm.

o
RE: Pellet Thermostat or Not_part2

Sorry, forgot to answer all the questions. Cycling via will definitely end up in less running hours for exhaust, blower and auger motors. That's less wear and less electricity consumed.

o

I have a Quadrafire, and they only work with a thermostat - you can't use them without one. I absolutely love the thermostat feature! It came with a cheapie little Lux brand thermostat, but I replaced it with a digital programmable one from Lowes - cost about $20. I have it set back a little at night time and during the day when we're not there - so the stove doesn't burn quite as much.

It's awesome - the stove turns itself on & off as needed - all I do is clean out the burnpot once a day and clean the glass, and add pellets. Takes about 5 minutes a day or less.

o

Is it difficult to install the thermostat? Is it a lot of opening up the wall to install wires?

Do you like your quadra? Is it a MtVernon or other model? My husband and I are looking at a Mt. Vernon but it has gotten a lot of bad reviews.
Opinion?
Tammyest

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here