Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood stove questions please read!

Posted by fivelinks (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 07 at 10:54

We just bought a non cat Vermont Castings Encore model wood stove. Its EVERBURN system is supposed to be superior and they claim an air wash system keeps the glass clean. We used it the first day and the glass doors were black. Am I doing something wrong? To make the everburn system work the damper door must be shut and a side valve can be opened various degrees to allow air into the stove from the home. The only time the damper is open is when you are starting the fire or adding wood. We are burning well seasoned wood so green wood is not the problem for the smokey doors. Also there is a faint smell of smoke every so often so I am wondering if I have a venting issue too. Someone please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood stove questions please read!

Usually when the glass blacks up like that it means you didn't let the wood burn hot enough long enough before you damped it down.

Start the fire with kindling and the damper open. Add some smaller splits and let the fire get going really well- this takes 10-15 minutes or so and the damper is still open. Then add your large splits and again wait 15 minutes or so to let the fire get hot enough.
Then damp it down and enjoy your Everburn system.

Black on the door means black in your chimney and no one wants that. A thermometer on the stove can help you learn to judge temperatures and lessen your risks of forming creosote or overfiring your stove. Ebay or any stove store has the thermometers- they are magnetic and just stick on the front. $15 or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here