Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stayn2busy_gw

pictures of rock fireplaces with cathedral ceilings

stayn2busy
14 years ago

We are building and the LR will have a tall (23ft) cathedral ceiling with the fieldstone rock fireplace. I would LOVE to see some pictures of some rock fireplaces, especially in tall ceiling LRs. I did see on HGTV where you can turn some rock lengthwise and have random little ledges... .has anyone ever actually done this? At the top of the 23ft wall next to the fireplace, will be triangular windows on each side. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (6)

• vegansally
    14 years ago

Have you checked out www.hearth.com? You might find something there.

• stayn2busy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks vegan, I will check it out!

• Flowerchild
    14 years ago

We are also building and have cathedral ceilings and a cultured stone FP. I will try to remember to take a pic of the ceiling. I couldn't get the whole shot in this view.

From Our Timber Frame

• stayn2busy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Flower for posting a picture. I love your house and the view is breath taking!! How tall are your LR ceilings? Ours will be 23ft at the peak. I like how you narrowed your rock....that looks nice. Thanks again!

• Flowerchild
    14 years ago

You are welcome. I know the Garden Web forums have helped us out tremendously while building our home, so i am happy to help someone else with the many decisions that need to be made in a build. Thanks for the compliment. We have done most of the work ourselves so getting a compliment goes right to the heart.
    I think our peak is 24 or 26 ft. ?? Not sure.. My DH designed the FP as well as the whole house!! The only thing I don't like about the FP is the white Limestone hearth...HE picked that out without my input....of course I never would have picked white..it is always dirty lol.
    Are you going with real stone? I so wish we could have afforded real stone...but even this one was way out of budget, but a FP was on the 'must have' list..

Good Luck.

Here are a couple more showing how the ceiling and FP meet:

From Our Timber Frame
    From Our Timber Frame

• stayn2busy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting more pics! Your stone looks real for sure! We are going with natural stacked fieldstone... the cost wasn't alot more for it. Our chimney will be on the end wall with the 23 ft vault.... a TALL chimney! The side walls will be about 15ft....an "oops" on the plans.... very poor designer that did our plans we are realizing more each day!! Your limestone is beautiful, but I can imagine the challenge to keep clean. We will have a wood burning stove in ours.... haven't thought about the hearth yet. How awesome to have built your house yourselves... a true labor of love! We are sub contracting ours out so will take a little longer to completion. Thanks again... and yes I do love GW...it's my latest addiction!