Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of fuel should I use for this fireplace?

Posted by PlanterJ (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 9:45

Hello all, I have moved into a flat which has a fireplace that I am keen to use but has been out of action for years.

I am going to hire a professional to come and clean the chimney and would really appreciate some advice on what fuel I should use for a fireplace like this.

I know absolutely nothing fireplaces so any advice would be very welcome. Please see attached photo which shows there is some kind of gas lighting rod in place? Thanks in advance from a chilly Londoner!
James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of fuel should I use for this fireplace?

The style of the fireplace indicates that it was originally designed for coal, probably the type known as "nut" coal at least in the US. I've never seen a gas lighter such as this one before, but makes sense for igniting coal.

Since you're already going to have the chimney inspected and cleaned, I'd rely on this expert's advice. He/she should also be able to alert you to any restrictions, fire codes, etc.

o
RE: What type of fuel should I use for this fireplace?

That's a coal fireplace for small lump or large stoker size (about the size of an egg). However, because you're in London, you are likely in a smoke control area and thus cannot use anything but smoke-free "approved" fuel. The originally intended bituminous coal is not allowed. Any local supplier will know what coals and fuels are acceptable in London's smoke control area. A supplier such as this one: http://www.londoncoal.co.uk/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here