Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wood-burning fireplace insert -- questions

Posted by hillside5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 25, 07 at 9:18

I'm looking for folks who may have already done what we're considering. We have a 60 year old masonry home with a fireplace. Two storeys, hot-water heat system. There are many large oak trees in the neighborhood and unfortunately one on our property is in bad shape and will have to come down, giving us a very large supply of wood.

We're considering a small wood-burning fireplace insert to take advantage of the wood, and supplement the main heat system. There is an air conditioning blower that was added some 25 years ago -- we can move the warm air throughout the house.

I'm looking for any comments on our plans and options. I was shocked at how expensive this can be. Got quotes of $4100 - $4800 for complete package + install from a local stove store.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wood-burning fireplace insert -- questions

It sounds a tad high. The price will be lower in the spring. Last year we put in a Lopi Freedom insert with 25' of 6" pipe and the cap at the top. It was $3700 installed. I like having the insert but my only regret is that the old clunker (polluting) insert heated better. I wish we had just added a pipe for the older model.

o
RE: wood-burning fireplace insert -- questions

I had a Pacific Energy insert installed in a 55 year old home last spring for $3600 including some chimney repairs and a full stainless steel liner. It heats fantastic- with an insert a blower is a must to get efficient heat. My heat pump hasn't kicked on yet and we've been in the 20's a couple of times.

I agree that spring would be best. This is the exact worst time to buy a wood stove/insert as everybody and their uncle are considering the same thing.

Go ahead and take that tree down and split that wood, though. It won't be ready to burn until next season anyway, so use the time betwen now and then to research inserts.
A lot depends on your existing chimney and the size of your fireplace- I would schedule an inspection and an at home consult to narrow down your possibilities, then hit the web .

I've included a link to a very busy forum that can give you tons of information and suggestions. They will likely ask for a photo of your fireplace so get one ready.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hearth Forums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here