Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coal stove fumes?

Posted by oldpaddy (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 9:17

Hi all. I use a nut coal stove to heat my house and have almost all my life. The stove is situated in the middle of my living room. As far as I know I've never had any problems other than the dust or when I add wet coal, which smells like rotten eggs.
About six years ago I had gas base board heat installed because my wife at the time was pregnant and didn't want our son exposed to the fumes/dust. After a year I went back to the coal stove. Since then I've gone through a divorce and am now engaged with a child on the way. My fiance has the same concerns as the ex. We had the furnace checked out and it's going to cost thousands of dollars to get fixed. So it looks like we're going to stick with the stove.
My question is, is what are the long term risks of using a coal stove around a child? The draft is good and as far as I know there are no leaks or problems with the stove.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coal stove fumes?

Bump.

o
RE: Coal stove fumes?

there are no long-term effects of using a coal stove around a child. It is perfectly safe for children, for yourself, and anyone else in your household. Where anyone gets the idea that it is not safe, I am not sure, but it is unfortunate and misguided. In fact there was some pretty good research in Europe that tried to determine risks, if any. What the researchers found was that not only did the children in homes heated with solid fuel not have any higher rates of asthma or respiratory illness, in fact, they showed substantially lower rates of respiratory illness including asthma. This was found to be more significant in homes heated by coal (rather than wood). You have nothing to worry about; stay warm this winter, enjoy your coal stove!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here