Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lennox Ladera Blower Connection Problem, Cold Draft

Posted by keats76 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 8:08

All,

My new house is almost complete, unfortunately it appears that the builder walled up the fireplace without connecting the blower on my Lennox Ladera fireplace. :(

Does anyone know if the electrical connection can be made without accessing the outside of the box? I've had the opening to the refactory removed and have access to the blower and the electrical box, but it looks like there is a cover plate on the exterior that screws into the box from the outside to expose the opening for wiring.

I should be able to fish some wiring to the outside of the box to make the switched connection, but I'm not sure if I'll have access to pull the wire into the box. I could probably drill a hole, but I'm sure I'd need to find a way to protect the wire from the rough opening and I don't know if that would void a warranty or anything.

Also, there appears to be a cold draft that comes from the new fireplace, sigh. I don't think this is due to active wind, just cold temperatures in the chase making their way through the fireplace box. :( At the time of installation the builder suggested insulating the outside of the chase with some XPS (probably 1/2").

I was overwhelmed with other decisions at the time so I let this one slide. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should just kill two birds with one stone and open up the chase from the exterior, gain access to the electrical and then insulate the accessible portion of the chase with some unfaced fiberglass bats. I think they have to be unfaced right?

Has anyone encountered anything similar or have any suggestions on the type of insulation to use? We're in a mixed humid climate near Asheville, NC. We get a moderate winter here and will probably have a good 3-4 months of heating needs.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lennox Ladera Blower Connection Problem, Cold Draft

We had a draft coming from our fireplace a while back. Whe had a fireplace shop come out to look at it - not knowing what it could possibly be. He suggested that we equalize the pressure in the house by opening a window in the basement a crack (we had negative air pressure in the house). Oddly enough, it made a huge difference. You may not have a basement, but test it - maybe there is another way to accomplish if it works. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here