Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Glass Doors on wood insert

Posted by country_smile (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 6:34

What is the best and easiest way to clean the glass doors on my wood fireplace insert? I found an old thread from '06 that gave suggestions of using Orange Blast, or making a past of the ashes and vinegar, and other ideas and the posters wrote that it'll "wipe off". It must work better for them because I tried several of the ideas and at no time was I able to "wipe" the glass clean - it always involves scrubbing, scrubbing and grumbling on my part.

Are there any new cleaners available that make this job less burdensome? And what do you use to apply the cleaner and "wipe" the soot off - a cloth, paper towel, newspaper, other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Glass Doors on wood insert

Use any of the cleaners made for "glass" top stoves. Make sure the surface is fairly cool before using and don't let the glass become overly dirty before cleaning. If you're smoking up the glass very quickly, it generally means too little air and/or improperly seasoned wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here